Meningococcal Vaccine Information: Where to Go in San Francisco
Serogroup ACWY vaccine (MenACWY vaccine, brand names Menactra or Menveo) is recommended for adolescents, first-year college students, those who have no spleen, travelers to parts of sub-Saharan Africa, HIV-positive individuals age 2 months and up, and SF men who have sex with other men.
Serogroup B vaccine (MenB vaccine, brand names Bexsero or Trumenba) is recommended for certain persons at least 10 years of age who are at increased risk for Meningococcal disease (have no spleen, college students).
The San Francisco Department of Public Health recommends that gay and bisexual men, transfemales, and other men who have sex with men consider getting vaccinated against meningococcal disease. MenACWY meningococcal vaccine (Menactra or Menveo) is now available at a number of locations in San Francisco. These locations include:
AITC Immunization and Travel Clinic (Open to the general public.)
- Address: 101 Grove Street, Room 102, San Francisco, CA 94102
- Phone: (415) 554-2625
- Clinic Hours:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Cost: $26 for those who qualify; see AITC prices
City Clinic (For San Francisco residents only.)
- Address: 356 7th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
- Phone: (415) 487-5500
- Clinic hours:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Tuesday: 1:00pm - 6:00pm
- Thursday: 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Strut (Open to the general public. Dependent on supply.)
- Address: 470 Castro St, San Francisco, CA 94114
- Phone: (415) 437-3400
- Clinic hours:
- Monday:10am - 6pm
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 10am - 8pm
- Friday and Saturday: 10am - 6pm
- Sunday: closed
In addition, many retail pharmacies in San Francisco stock meningococcal vaccine. Call your local retail pharmacy to find out if they have meningococcal vaccine available.
Click here for more information on invasive meningococcal disease.