Sanofi Pasteur, the manufacturer of the only yellow fever vaccine (YF-Vax) licensed in the United States, has announced that YF-Vax is unavailable through December 2018 because of delays in the production process. Sanofi Pasteur received approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to make another yellow fever vaccine called STAMARIL available in the United States under specific FDA rules for imported vaccines.
Manufactured by Sanofi Pasteur in France, STAMARIL is registered and distributed in Europe and more than 70 countries in total. Over 400 million doses of STAMARIL have already been given worldwide and it has been shown to be safe and effective. It is a live, weakened virus vaccine, very similar in composition, safety and efficacy to YF-Vax.
AITC has STAMARIL in stock for our clients who need yellow fever vaccination. But please note – as the only San Francisco STAMARIL provider open to the general public, we are extremely busy handling requests for yellow fever vaccine. Please call us well in advance of your trip (ideally 4-6 weeks), as we have very limited capacity to accommodate last-minute requests at this time. Alternatively, CDC maintains a list of other clinics including several in the SF Bay Area that offer STAMARIL.
Please note that everyone MUST have a travel health consultation for their trip, prior to receiving STAMARIL at AITC. There are 2 ways to accomplish this:
- Schedule a Travel Health Visit appointment at AITC. Generally people find our Travel Health Visit to be a thorough assessment of travel health risks, and a highly informative preventive health experience. STAMARIL vaccine can be administered at that visit. Appointment slots fill up quickly and we are generally booked 4-6 weeks out, so we recommend calling several weeks in advance of your trip.
- Complete a travel health consultation with another travel medicine provider first. Then, call (415) 554-2860 to speak with our STAMARIL nurse, in order to receive prior authorization to receive just your STAMARIL vaccine at AITC, without having an AITC Travel Health Visit. Please note that persons cannot receive STAMARIL on a walk-in basis at AITC without this prior authorization.
- Informed Consent. STAMARIL is available in the USA under an FDA Expanded Access Program, which follows certain rules and regulations. Our staff will fully explain the process, risks, and benefits of STAMARIL vaccination. Your written consent is required in order to proceed with vaccination.
- Medical Eligibility. STAMARIL can be given to persons who are traveling to a yellow fever transmission region or to a country requiring proof of yellow fever vaccination under International Health Regulations. Some persons cannot receive STAMARIL: infants under 9 months of age, persons with weakened immune systems, persons allergic to eggs, pregnant women, and women who are unable or unwilling to stop breastfeeding for at least 2 weeks. Please see our Yellow Fever Vaccine Frequently Asked Questions page for more info.
- Minors. Children age 9 months through 17 years of age may receive STAMARIL however the parent or legal guardian must be physically present at the visit in order to provide written consent.
- Cost. There is a fee of $135 per person to be vaccinated with STAMARIL, plus a $50 per person visit fee, which must be paid at the visit. Any additional vaccines or services are extra. Apologies but we cannot currently bill your insurance, but will provide an itemized receipt that you can submit to your insurer.
- Certification. AITC has authority granted by the State of California, Department of Public Health to administer yellow fever vaccine including STAMARIL to the public. As part of our STAMARIL vaccination service, we will stamp your International Certificate of Vaccination, which can be used to obtain a visa or enter a country with yellow fever vaccination requirements.
- Follow-Up. If we vaccinate you with STAMARIL, the FDA Expanded Access Program for STAMARIL requires that you inform us if you experience a side effect or health condition after vaccination. We will explain this process in more detail at your visit.