January 2020. AITC has STAMARIL yellow fever vaccine in stock! But please call us well ahead of your trip (6 weeks or more is recommended) in order to arrange to receive STAMARIL and other pre-travel services. Demand can be high and our visit slots can fill up well in advance, so please plan ahead. Sorry but we do not offer walk-in access to STAMARIL vaccine.
Alternatives to getting STAMARIL at AITC include: (a) CDC posts a map of other US clinics that offer STAMARIL including several in the Bay Area; and (b) Shoreland, Inc. compiled a list of travel clinics within major air terminals offering yellow fever vaccination (AITC does not maintain these lists so we recommend checking with the listed clinics directly).
Please note that everyone MUST have a travel health consultation for their upcoming trip, prior to receiving STAMARIL at AITC.
A travel health consultation consists of pre-travel (a) review of your medical and immunization history, (b) assessment of health risks based on your travel destinations and activities (c) administration of recommended vaccinations (d) prescription of travel medications and (e) counseling on how to prevent illness while traveling.
There are 2 pathways to get a STAMARIL yellow fever vaccine at AITC:
- Schedule an appointment for a Travel Health Visit (consultation) at AITC by calling our reception desk at (415) 554-2625. People find our Travel Health Visit to be a thorough assessment of travel health risks associated with their particular trip, and a valuable preventive health experience. STAMARIL vaccine can be administered at that visit if you qualify medically (see Medical Eligibility, below). Appointment slots can fill up quickly so we recommend calling us at least 6 weeks ahead of your trip.
- Complete a travel health consultation with another travel medicine provider first. Then, call (415) 554-2860 and speak with our STAMARIL nurse to receive prior authorization for a STAMARIL-only visit at AITC. At this visit we will administer STAMARIL yellow fever vaccine if you qualify medically (see Medical Eligibility, below) but we won’t have time to address other aspects of your trip. We have a limited number of these slots available daily and they can fill up in advance, so please call us well ahead of your trip.
- Informed Consent. STAMARIL is available in the USA under an FDA Expanded Access Program, which follows certain rules and regulations. Our staff will fully explain the process, risks, and benefits of STAMARIL vaccination. Your written consent is required in order to proceed with vaccination.
- Medical Eligibility. STAMARIL eligibility applies to persons traveling to a location with yellow fever virus transmission and/or to a country requiring proof of yellow fever vaccination under International Health Regulations. Some persons cannot receive STAMARIL: infants under 9 months of age, persons with weakened immune systems, persons allergic to eggs, pregnant women, and women who are unable or unwilling to stop breastfeeding for at least 2 weeks. Please see our Yellow Fever Vaccine Frequently Asked Questions page for more info.
- Measles Vaccine, Chickenpox Vaccine, and STAMARIL. In order to ensure a full immunity response to vaccination, CDC recommends that measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine or chickenpox (Varicella) vaccine are given either on the same day as yellow fever vaccine, or at least 28 days apart from yellow fever vaccine. So if you need MMR or Varicella vaccine before you travel, its best to get it from your doctor a month earlier, or wait and receive it at AITC on the same day you receive STAMARIL.
- Minors. Children age 9 months through 17 years of age may receive STAMARIL however the parent or legal guardian must be physically present at the visit in order to provide written consent.
- Cost. There is a fee of $135 per person for the STAMARIL vaccine, plus a $50 per person assessment fee, which must be paid at the visit. Any additional vaccines or services are extra. Apologies that we cannot currently bill your insurance, but we will provide an itemized receipt that you can submit to your insurer.
- Certification. AITC has authority granted by the State of California, Department of Public Health to administer yellow fever vaccine including STAMARIL to the public. As part of our STAMARIL vaccination service, we will stamp your International Certificate of Vaccination, which can be used to obtain a visa or enter a country with yellow fever vaccination requirements.
- Follow-Up. If we vaccinate you with STAMARIL, the FDA Expanded Access Program for STAMARIL requires that you inform us if you experience a side effect or health condition after vaccination. We will explain this process in more detail at your visit.
Sanofi Pasteur, the manufacturer of the only yellow fever vaccine (YF-Vax) licensed in the United States, has communicated that the shortage of YF-Vax will continue through 2020 due to issues with production. In the meanwhile, Sanofi Pasteur with approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has made another yellow fever vaccine called STAMARIL available in the United States under specific FDA rules for imported vaccines.
Manufactured by Sanofi Pasteur in France, STAMARIL is registered and distributed in Europe and more than 70 countries in total. Over 400 million doses of STAMARIL have already been given worldwide and it has been shown to be safe and effective. It is a live, weakened virus vaccine, very similar in composition, safety and efficacy to YF-Vax.