Information on COVID-19 Vaccination
Developed by SFDPH:
Sample, template, and FAQ documents that SF healthcare facilities and providers can adapt for their own use
- Sample Protocol for Administration of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine (UPDATED 1/23/2021)
- Sample Protocol for Administration of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (UPDATED 1/23/2021)
- FAQ for Clinicians and Vaccination Providers About mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Administration (UPDATED 1/23/2021)
- SF.gov COVID-19 Vaccination Page for Public
- CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Clinical Resources page
- CDC Post-Vaccine Considerations for Healthcare Personnel and Post-Vaccine Considerations for Residents of Long-Term Care
- VAERS Information for Providers about Reporting Vaccine Adverse Events (COVID-19 vaccine and other vaccines)
- CDC/ACIP Clinical Considerations for COVID-19 Vaccination
- ACOG Practice Advisory on COVID-19 Vaccination of Pregnant and Lactating Patients
- CDPH California COVID-19 Vaccine Allocation Guidelines
- CDC/ACIP National COVID-19 Vaccine Allocation Guidelines
- FDA pages: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine and Moderna Vaccine
Last updated 1/23/2021. Shortcut to this page segment = www.sfcdcp.org/covidvax-administer
For general orientation and instructions see Health Advisory – Becoming a COVID-19 Vaccine Provider (12/24/2020). But please note that some aspects have changed — see updates below.
Also, to stay up to date see CDPH California COVID-19 Vaccination Program communications.
CalVax has replaced COVID-Readi
The state has replaced COVID-Readi with CalVax as the enrollment system for providers seeking to administer COVID-19 vaccine. Providers approved in CalVax will be able to “order” doses of vaccine each week. Please note that provider “orders” in CalVax are requests for vaccine, and those doses must be authorized by SFDPH before they can be shipped. Authorization of those doses by SFDPH will depend on the total number of doses allocated weekly to SF by the state health department, and on the provider’s ability to vaccinate currently prioritized groups.
- If you are already an approved provider in COVID-Readi, you do not need to re-enroll in CalVax. Your organization contacts (Part A contacts in your COVIDReadi application) will receive an invitation from an @salesforce email. You will be able to change your contact information and add locations in CalVax. If have not yet received an invitation (and believe you should have), please contact the COVID Call Center.
- If you did not begin a provider application in COVID-Readi, and are interested in administering COVID-19 vaccine in your practice, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For technical issues with CalVax, email Helpdesk.CalVax@calvax.accenture.com
- COVID Call Center contacts: email email@example.com or call (833) 502-1245 (M-F 9a-5p)
- CalVax is hosting information sessions for providers. 19 Jan, 3 PM – 4 PM – Join Here / 20 Jan, 3 PM – 4 PM – Join Here / 21 Jan, 3 PM – 4 PM – Join Here / 22 Jan, 11 AM – 12 PM – Join Here
COVID-19 Vaccination Reporting Systems Update
CDPH has announced that the CalVax system is adding a module allowing users to schedule vaccination visits, record vaccination doses, and upload that information to CAIR. Completion and rollout of the new module is expected soon. This will be a 4th method for entering COVID-19 vaccination doses (in addition to CAIR-enabled EMRs, PrepMod, and CAIR mass-vaccination module). PrepMod will continue to be available as an option.
Additional specifics on signing up with VaccineFinder, based on SFDPH COVID-19 vaccination team experience to date:
- COVID-19 vaccination providers are required to report daily inventory to the national organization designated by CDC, called VaccineFinder. After enrolling in COVIDReadi, the CMO (or equivalent officer) listed in Part A of your COVIDReadi application should receive an invitation email from firstname.lastname@example.org that will be valid for 7 days. If you wish to change the email associated with your VaccineFinder account or add users, you can do so once your VaccineFinder account is active. Send a request to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, copying the original recipient, and requesting the change.
- If your organization has multiple COVIDReadi-enrolled locations, you will decide whether each location will be responsible for their own inventory or whether the organization will report on behalf of all the affiliated locations. This is a one-time decision and cannot be changed for the duration of the COVID-19 vaccination program.
- VaccineFinder has indicated they currently have a backlog due high volume of requests. If your organization is scheduled to receive vaccine within the next few days, but has not yet received an invitation to register with VaccineFinder, we recommend that you email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org (and cc our team at email@example.com so that we are aware) and note the date that you will receive your first delivery of vaccine so that VaccineFinder can prioritize your request appropriately. Be sure to include your organization name, COVIDReadi ID, and VTrckS ID. If you do not know your VTrckS ID, you can request it from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated 1/21/2021. Shortcut to this page segment: www.sfcdcp.org/covidvax-getready